Saturday, April 3, 2010

Living La Vida Loca en Barcelona!


Before I begin, let me first tell you that my two companions and I got lost the first few hours that we were in Barcelona! We luckily figured out the metro stations, but once out of there we had no idea where to go in terms of streets. We had to backtrack, we had to search for street signs, and we even had to ask for directions (EN ESPANOL!) The lady that we talked to was very nice, and she told us that it was down a little side road. So we go down one side road that has flowers growing and orange trees across the little street. We stop in front of one building that we are sure was ours. We were just about to leave when a strange Spanish man comes up to us and says "Elizabeth McNamara?" As soon as he said that, I thought someone was going to get hurt. I had no idea who this guy was and that he knew my real name was just creepy. I just looked at him and was so startled that I just said "Si?" He goes on to tell me that he is our agent! We were so relieved!!!! So we were lost and then we were found! It was perfect timing!
Barcelona! Where to begin? There was so much that happened over those five days were beautiful, fun filled, and new! I could not have asked for better companions either. Megan and Andrew made the trip all the more enjoyable. Having them with me was like having my two siblings with me. To be honest, it felt like we were a family (not counting the calls we made to our parents) :-) Gaudi was absolutely brilliant! I loved his style of architecture! The Sagrada Familia Cathedral was so beautiful! It was started back in the 18th century and it is still not finished! When we were riding by the Cathedral, we noticed that the church looked like it was melting. It was like an optical illusion! Megan, Andrew and I wanted to go inside, but there were way to many people. Casa Batlló was an interesting piece because it looked like skulls or masks of some sort when we passed it. Park Guell is the park devoted to Gaudi and his other creations. It was the place where he would gain a lot of his inspiration and design since he took a lot of it from nature. I will never forget that park or the works I saw of him. The man truly was a genius!
I am just going to say that Las Ramblas was phenomenal. This is where all the crazy shopping is! We did not get pick pocketed once which was a very, very good thing! We bought a lot of things! None of us went crazy because Andrew really knows how to find a bargain price! He's awesome like that :-) I got my portrait drawn in charcoal by a lady who did a really good job drawing me. Here is a photo that Andrew took:
The last thing that I will tell you about at this time is the light show that the Museum of Art! There is a big fountain and every night at 7:00 pm there is a light show that has classical music, which then makes the water go in all different directions! It gets small, then big, then goes into a flower formation, then a geyser, and it just kept doing that! As it got darker, the lights started to come on which was when more contemporary and modern music came on. "Barcelona" by Queen was played and Megan and I just started laughing! "How could this not be played?" The lights were wonderful! There were greens, pinks, reds, orangese, yellows, blues, purples, and mixes in between. Megan, Andrew, and I could do nothing but stare at the water and listen to the music. At that moment, as the three of us sat there on the steps in the warm Spanish evening, watching the sun sink lower and lower, we realized "life doesn't get much better than this."

No comments:

Post a Comment