Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Very Beginning


I first came to Ireland 7 years ago with my family. I did not know anything about the culture, the literature, or the way of life that the Irish people lived. I noticed nothing except the cute boys walking down the streets. I was young and ignorant to the true beauty of all that surrounded me! Of course I had heard Irish music before, but I did not listen to the lyrics and try to learn what the songs spoke of. Through the years, all that changed. I began to notice the little things. When I returned to Ireland, it seemed to be similar to the United States. There was a parking lot for the cars at the airport, buses, and highways that spiraled through each other. But then I took a second look, and there were noticeable differences! The steering wheels in the cars were on the other side of the car (the passenger side in the United States), the people were more polite on the road, and the scenery was unlike anything New England had to offer. The people are also more friendly than in the States I think. I do not mean to "knock" my countrymen, but the fact is that the Irish are more polite. End of story. The Town Council gathered us in their chamber to mark the "historical event" as they called it. I cannot recall being treated with such kindness! The Mayor of Dungarvan gave a speech, the Mayor of County Waterford gave a speech, the second in command to the United States Ambassador gave a speech as well, and there were others who spoke in that Chamber to us. To be quite honest, I teared up. Oh, don't think I'm a marshmallow or any shenanigans like that! No, it was just very overwhelming and it was a lot to take in given I'd only been there not even two days yet! Click here for a video of that gathering! I will be impressed if you don't get even a small feeling of wonder and awe as the morning progresses. One major plus to Europe is that there is no sales tax on the goods! When something is 10 euro, it is 10 euro. I will miss that when I go back home! I will miss the music and the scenery most of all though. There is a tranquility that can't be put into words. But anyway, back to the trip at hand!

There is a group of 26 who traveled with me over to Ireland. We are from different majors and different backgrounds but have all come to Dungarvan, Ireland with a common purpose: To continue our studies and to gain experience of life in other places. It is a grand feeling and we intend on living it up to the max! We are staying at The Park Hotel in townhouses that can take four people. I have 3 roommates and they are the funniest people I've ever met! I guess I could say that they are my second family. It is almost like having a mother and two sisters living with me. They are wonderful girls and I consider myself extremely lucky to have been placed with them. There is a picture shown below with the 3 of them: Melissa in the blue, Megan in the middle, and Katie in the red hoodie.
*
There is a lot of things that are planned for us while we are here! Exploring castles, gardens, hills, participating in sports (rugby, gaelic football, horse riding, etc.)We will see performances and athletic games! There is just too much it seems! It's almost overwhelming! I was a swimmer in high school, so the game of soccer and football has been lost to me for some years. Hopefully I will not embarrass myself in front of all the Irish football players. That would be catastrophic!

There is only one more thing I can write about at present. The food! The food is not any different from what we have in the United States. However, the ingredients are healthier, the portions smaller, and some of the things that we know (like ham) are different in Ireland. I do not know which I prefer. One does love the taste of sweet chocolate, a hot hamburger, and deep fried food. Although we fail to see the truth of what we consume - hey, it's all about living in the moment right? I feel the Irish do that in their own way. Maybe not the way that I am accustomed to, but learning new things is half the fun! It's a whole new world and I can't wait to get a piece of it!
Stay tuned for more on my journey in Ireland!

No comments:

Post a Comment