Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Music of Ireland



The purpose for this particular blog is just to give you a taste of traditional/folk music from Ireland. It has been my experience that Ireland is very much like America when it comes to music. Since I've been in this country, one song has made me feel like I'm back in the United States. Click here for the song.

As Michael Flatley once said "Music is the soul of what we do as Irish." I never forgot that quote. He then goes on to talk about the beat that is involved with the dancing and music of his show "Lord of the Dance". He says that without the beat, there is nothing. I am not saying that American artists do not use a beat, but there is just something about Irish music that has always captured me. Now don't go thinking that I'm being biased just because I happen to be living in Ireland. Do not presume for a minute that I am being too taken in with the culture and just jumping on the Irish bandwagon! If that be the case, then shame for insinuating such a thing! The folk music of Ireland was what I was raised on. My Grandfather McNamara, my Dad, and my Uncle Dan were the key drivers of Irish music in my family!

The following links are from my favorite Irish groups: The Chieftains, The High Kings, and Celtic Woman.

Rocky Road to Dublin

Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore

Wild Rover

Dance at the Crossroads

Magdalene Laundries

Danny Boy

If one can ever find any other songs, don't hesitate to share them! Never miss an opportunity to get your IRISH on! :-) Until my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment