Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day in Ireland


My very first St. Patrick's Day in Ireland. My goodness what a sentence that is to comprehend, even for myself! I have never spent a St. Patrick's Day away from my family and friends, but this year I was with another family: My Mercyhurst Family. Before I give you an account of the days festivities, let me just begin by stating that it was so different than what I am accustomed to in the United States! What I mean is that there were not a sea of green, orange, and white as far as the eye can see. There were no drunk drivers to worry about as you crossed the street! What I mean is that there were not many people that I saw who were completely decked out from head to toe in shamrocks, leprechaun apparel, or anything else that could be construed as Irish. These people get their Irish on don't get me wrong! But the way they do it is much more subtle. Whether it's because they live in the country itself or because they mostly are Irish is currently unknown to me. Anyway, I digress.
The first thing we did was have a flag raising ceremony at the City Council Building. I watched the American Flag fly next to the Flag of Ireland and I just tuned everything out for one split second and looked at the colors: Red, White, Blue, Orange, and Green waving in the wind. It may not seem like a big deal but it was just cool to see the colors flying together, and just knowing that we really were here with an entirely different culture brought a huge smile to my face!
After the flag ceremony, we walked to St. Mary's Church just up the road from the City Square. There were pews that were reserved for us in the Church and some of us were given jobs like a reading or carrying up the gifts! I was 1 of 5 who were chosen to read the intercessions. I was so nervous I stumbled over the words to mine for a second and then tried to recover. I was slightly embarrassed but it's okay because nobody noticed! it was the most beautiful and most complicated Mass I have ever been to in my life. It was almost all in the Gaelic language! I saved the program so that I will never forget how complicated of a language it is. It has it's own beauty though. It's not as sweet as Italian or French, but to me it sounds beautiful.


The Irish view St. Patrick's Day as a holy day and don't see it as just a day to get extra drunk. They don't crank up Irish music and dress in kilts all over the place. For Christians, it's remembering what St. Patrick did in bringing the faith to Ireland and giving the Irish the Word of God and what it means for us as humans.
After the Mass, we were given a little time before the Parade to get ready and eat. We then got flags or little things to hand out to the people, and then began to march! I watched the people looking at us and all I could do was smile and hold the flag. I even waved a few times! It was really cool. I'd have to say that my favorite part about the entire parade was the bagpipers from Scotland who came to be a part of the parade. I love the bagpipes and so to hear the music was just awesome! The parade involved the fire departments, the school bus, the retirement home people, different businesses, different clubs for children, dancers, musicians, and clowns! I will never forget that parade! It was beyond the shadow of a doubt the best and most fun parade that I have ever had the great fortune to participate in out of anything else in my life!
Dinner followed the parade! It was carrots, cabbage, ham, and potatoes! Not quite the corn beef and cabbage that my dad always makes on St. Patty's Day, but hey, it was awesome nonetheless. My friends and I went out to a pub after that only for a little bit since we all had to be in by 11. I danced with them and had only a couple drinks! It was enough because my St. Patrick's Day in Ireland will never be forgotten!
Stay in touch for more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment