Monday, May 31, 2010

I'm not gone yet

Greetings to all my readers! Although Ireland is now over, I still feel that I should document my feelings and emotions about how things are now that I am Stateside again. Well, it was rough leaving Ireland. At the Reception that I went to with the rest of my peers where we got our "diplomas", that was when it set in that I was not going to be there for much longer. I would go back to my life in the United States and the life that I led in Ireland would turn into a dream; flashing images; nothing more than memories. I signed up to give a farewell speech at the Reception, and my speech made people tear up. The Irish and my peers both teared up. The following is my farewell speech to the Irish:
Good Evening to the great men and women of Co. Waterford! Although it is exciting that my peers and I are traveling back to familiar surroundings, the town of Dungarvan and its people have become a second home for me. The hospitality bestowed on us by the officials of Dungarvan and the Park Hotel were beyond the most luxurious thoughts our imaginations could think of. Simply saying “thank you” a thousand times doesn’t even come close to expressing to how grateful I am for being given the opportunity to come and experience life and culture in such a country as Ireland, and in such a town as Dungarvan. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like we were the best thing since the invention of Guinness! Throughout our stay, the history, the pubs, the scenery, the music, the athletics, and everything else never gave us a dull moment!
From the bottom of my heart, I want to say thank you to the Irish, who worked relentlessly to make our experience here the best that it could possibly be. I will never forget my time here. I also will always remember how warm and welcoming the people were to me, and how eager they were to offer a helping hand if I ever needed it.
Tonight, as we gather together for the last time and reminisce about all the great memories we’ve made, I can’t ignore the feeling of dread: The feeling that this wonderful and fulfilling experience is drawing to an end. I get choked up just thinking about it, but as Dr. Seuss said “Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.” I smile because something magical happened on this trip, and it wasn’t caused by leprechauns or faeries! It was caused by you, the great people of Waterford County, who showed us how phenomenal the Irish people really are! Thank you so very much for everything you’ve done! To quote a song I know and keep close to my heart, “So fare thee well my own true love, I’ll think of you night and day. A place in my mind you will surely find, although I am so far away. And when I’m alone far away from home, I’ll think of the good times once more. Until I can make it back someday to Paddy’s Green Shamrock Shore.” Slointe Vaith agus go niery an bover lat.
When I landed in Chicago, it was then that I realized just how far away I was from home. The place that I longed to return to and the place that captured my heart completely. Eight years ago, I said that I left half my heart in Ireland. This trip took whatever it had not taken already. My home is 5,000 miles away across land and sea. I will return home one day. That is a promise!
Now, it is house chores and studying for my Praxis test. It is exciting but as I unpack my gifts and look at my postcards and pictures, I get a heavy feeling in my chest to know that I will not be able to make it back to Ireland for a few years. The reason is because I need to establish my life, get to where I want to be in life, and then decide from there what I want to do. What I want to do more than anything though is travel; to live in another country for a few years and gain a European outlook on life. Well, I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to pass my 3 Praxis exams before I can even begin to think about any kind of future abroad!
Well, I must get back to studying! I hope to write again in my blog soon! :-) Until then, be well readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment